Geriatric Education for EMS (GEMS)
ProAction offers Geriatric Education for EMS (GEMS) in El Paso, Texas and Las Cruces, New Mexico.
GEMS provides EMS practitioners at all levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique
medical,social, environmental, and communications challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS empowers EMS practitioners to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients. You can view our entire GEMS schedule here.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live-action videos, hands-on skill stations, simulations, and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience. GEMS covers the following topics:
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-life care issues
- Cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults
This course is appropriate for EMTs, paramedics, emergency medical responders, nurses, physician assistants, and physicians. GEMS is accredited by CAPCE and recognized by NREMT.
We also offer Advanced Medical Life Support and Prehospital Trauma Life Support courses.